Sunday 2 December 2012

Excerpts from My Diaries, Sunday 25 Dec 2012


Moved into this new house in Clifton. It is boring. But better than staying in the hotel, all alone. At least, here is Sami- my work colleague, a lovely cat and her three kittens. The landlord is making a good money. 4 rooms for rent with average facilities.

No contact with friends and family members. The ban on mobile phones continues for three days now. We are told the idea was great as it thwarted couple of planned bomb blasts and suicide attacks. People are crazy. Why would one blow himself up to harm others? This is a strange country. People are ready to die for religion, on religion and by religion. Surely, I have no hatred against any religion, but I hate this madness.

Sami cooked rice with mixed vegetables. It was nice. Gave some to kittens. They don't fancy rice. On the dining table the landlord advised that youth in gangs operates in Karachi. Clifton or DHA is no exception. He  looks at my new blackberry mobile and wrist watch- " Fareed bhai, make sure you don't carry your fancy mobile phone or any precious thing during the night when you are on your own. Or laptop. Keep three- four hundred rupees for them, in case you're stopped and a cheap mobile phone. Give everything they demand. Don't argue or fight. They may harm you, though I understand all this may affect your Pathan pride and self-esteem". He continues, " take this seriously my brother. I am warning you of the dangers outside on the roads and streets".

A friend from Rome writes to me that I should show strength and resilience when things don't go well. She sent me lines from Rudyard Kipling famous poem called "IF" to take inspiration from. I love this poem. Glad someone is giving me strength.


If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Farid Gul, Dec 25, 2012- Karachi


No comments: